Big Girl Bed


After frightening Jacob enough he agreed with me and we went out to buy Nevaeh a big girl bed. We got home with the bed around 7:30 p.m. We also purchased Cinderella and The Jungle Book to entertain Nevaeh will we put her bed together (YEAH RIGHT!!).
After taking her crib apart and putting the bed together it was about 10:15 p.m. That is when our battle began...We bought brand new Mickey Mouse sheets because Nevaeh won't want to get out of bed if Mickey was on her sheets… right?!?! WRONG. I had the first shift, which by the way went smoothly. I read to her and prayed and we sang our usual twinkle twinkle little star song. She stayed in bed and I was amazed. I walked into the living room and proudly said, "okay she is down"... seconds later (as I comfortably get on the couch) she is up and walks into the living room saying "no more na-nai (night-night)." Jacob calmly walks her back in her room (she is in tears) and reads to her again, puts her down. As soon as he walks into the living room she opens her door, Jacob doesn't miss a beat and meets her in the hallway and walks her back to bed (no story this time). They continue this song and dance until 11:30 p.m. when I finally said, "enough, come to mama's bed", Jacob gives me a dirty look but I can't do this all night long!!
***Side note: Jacob is an awesome parent. He spoils Nevaeh rotten (buys her any and all Disney movies, buys her clothes all the time, buys her toys) but is strict when it comes to discipline. He has somehow found the perfect balance. He has GREAT parents!! ***
The next day I wasn't home... I had a mother's night out and let Jacob handle Nevaeh on his own. He put her down and did the same song and dance for about an hour until she finally fell asleep. I thought we were home free until she walked into our room at 2 in the morning. Listen... at 2 in the morning I really didn't feel like arguing with a two year old so I let her climb into our bed. The next night she slept a little longer (5 a.m.) but again I let her get into our bed!! She has climbed into our bed every morning and I haven't said anything to her but "hurry up climb in". Last night Jacob got her out of our bed and walked her back to her room and put her back in bed... she cried but eventually fell asleep and woke up at 7 a.m.

I think we need to take her back to her bed when she climbs into ours but seriously at 5 a.m. she could stay in my bed for all I care!! But I know it will be better for her and us in the long run if we teach her to stay in her bed all night!

4 comments:

Judy said...

This is exactly what I imagine Molly doing. AND-this is EXACTLY why she is getting into a big girl bed before she even turns 2 because Rich is deploying right after her birthday. I can't do this alone-you are totally right. It's a tough balance!

btw-Rich and Jacob sound very similar in their parenting. Very consistent and good with discipline.

Maria said...

That's why you get get the safety locks. When Andy gets up in the middle of the night (very rarely--sleeps like the dead) or very early in the morning, he can't get out. I hear him knocking and calling so I go in and put him back into bed. A quick kiss and some back rubbing usually works. But I NEVER let him out of his room. One time when he was really sick I tried to let him sleep in our bed. He tossed and turned and was just too curious. I ended up taking him to his room and staying till he fell asleep.
Even though he generally falls asleep on the floor, he always falls asleep on his own. And that is more important to me than where he falls asleep (floor vs bed).

Chryshelle AKA Mommy, Mama, Babe said...

I have nothing for you. Tyler sleeps with me every night and has ever since he started coming in in the middle of the night when I was pregnant with Lorelei. If you don't stop it now, you might as well go buy a bigger bed for Jacob to sleep in in Nevaeh's room. I keep saying I am going to get Tyler back in his own room, but I like my sleep so I take it how I can get it.

inTRISHting creations said...

Let me know what works. I still put J in the bed with me (us). Last night I fell asleep in her bed (she has a twin).

You have Jacob.
Judy has Rich.
Tomas has me.

LOL Why am I the boy? Gosh.