Nine years ago today there were 4 of us, Joe, Alex, Moni and me. We were always together especially on the weekend... we would BBQ practically EVERY weekend at either Joe's or Alex's. Joe was 11 years older than me so he was more than just a brother; he was a protector, a father figure, my hero and a funny funny friend. He was almost always calm until someone messed with any one of his girls... mom, wife, three sisters or three daughters. Women always surrounded the poor guy.
Nine years ago today was the last time I saw my big brother, Joe, alive. It was a Saturday evening and we were all at Alex's house and he was placing his pupusa order with Moni who was going to pick them up. I can still see him walking into Alex's house... tall, dark, handsome and strong.
He was my mom and dad's pride and joy. He was their first born, their only boy. How they survived his death, I will never know. I think Jake's birth (my nephew) got my parents through it. Jake was born 5 days before Joe's death.
His girls absolutely LOVED him too. Jessica the oldest, 7 at the time (16 now) needs her daddy now more than ever. Ashley, 2 at the time (11 now), doesn't remember her daddy now but when her mommy started dating 2 years after Joe died, she made sure her mommy's boyfriend knew he wasn't welcomed by sitting between them and not allowing them to hold hands. Elissa, only 7 months old at the time (9 now) couldn't wait to jump into her daddy's arms when he walked into the room. When she was about 2 years old she would all of the sudden look really sad and sit all alone... when you would ask her what was wrong she would say, "I miss my daddy".
I would love to have him back for one more day so he can meet the new additions to the family and so his girls could see what a wonderful man he was. We try to explain how funny he was and how much he loved them but I know they will never know.
Lucky for me, I was blessed enough to meet a man who reminds me of my brother constantly. I really think Joe had a lot to do with Jacob coming into my life.
3 comments:
What a beautiful tribute. Thank you for sharing. It must be bittersweet to see him through Jacob. I can't even fathom it.
Family is the foundation. I love that your family is close and it seems like this tragedy didn't rock you all apart. I'm thinking of you on this difficult day.
That was so sweet. My chest swelled up as I read your entry.
Growing up, I use to have nightmares of my dad passing away. I would wake up sobbing and go into my parent's room to check if he was still breathing.
I lost my dad when I was 23 and the way I felt after those childhood nightsmares was nothing in comparison to the reality. I can only imagine how your young nieces felt and feel.
You found your brother in Jacob as I've found my dad in Tomas. Isn't it amazing?
That was so touching. Other things come and go, but the one thing in life that is always constant is family. While you may not get to choose your relatives, so you don't always like them, that also means that they'll always be there no matter what.
We're thinking of you.
Post a Comment