Donating Toys


Last Friday Jacob and I went to our friend Trish's house for "game night". I had a lot of fun playing Taboo. Jacob and the rest of the men decided they were too cool for Taboo and instead watched a movie. Trish was a super hostess and made delicious appetizers, which I will make for Christmas!! Her home was super cute inside and out. BUT the most shocking thing was it is toy-free!! Is that truly possible with a child??
When I got home I decided to CLEAN HOUSE... well not that night because it was too late but the next day. As you can see Nevaeh helped me clean but all of the sudden her room was super cluttered. There was no way she could enjoy her room or her toys that way. I called my MIL and asked if her church was in need of toys and sure enough they were... so we packed up a bunch of Nevaeh's toys for donation. It was difficult for me to say "goodbye" to some of her toys because each toy had such a special meaning to ME!! For example, I didn't want to get rid of her Elmo boom box because that was her favorite toy on her first birthday and I didn't want to get rid of a little stuffed bear because she remembered that Ashley (her cousin) won that for her almost a YEAR ago!!! I managed to let go of the toys and I explained to her ... and myself... that the toys were going to the kids at Grandma's church.
I am happy to report that her room is now organized with the toys she plays with more often and the rest of my home is toy-free... well most of the time because she takes her toys all around the house and sometimes she "forgets" to take them back.

Anyway... thanks Trish for the inspiration.

1 comments:

inTRISHting creations said...

OMG! Are those furry TOE socks? So cute! Does she like them? I have a couple of pairs but I can't wear them for long -- my toes freak out! I think they suffer from claustrophobia. True story.

Thank you for such nice words. *blush* (Your check is in the mail!)

Luckily, Jessalyn's always been more partial to books because I have a hard time getting rid of her baby/toddler toys.

She and 'vaeh have the same drum (the one that's sitting on the glider in the picture). I don't know if I'll ever part with it. She LOVED it and I continue to LOVE it. I have so many pictures of her and that drum. It makes me warm just thinking about it.

I've known about Nevaeh's awesome imagination but her memory?? Simply amazing. That's special. =)

BTW, J loves Nevaeh's new picture with the crossed eyes. Silly girl!

Love,
Jessalyn's Mommy